Saturday 18 August 2012





















Tauba Auerbach
Tauba Auerbach’s Static series explores the place of aesthetics as it contends with digital and analog media. These abstract works are digital prints of the analog phenomenon known as static: that visual output of “white noise” that we so quickly associate with the early days of television. Auerbach isolates and magnifies various static pictures to an artistic end, highlighting not only an aesthetic but also cultural tension between analog and digital forms.
 Are these really abstractions? We know, after all, that there is an image to be resolved behind the confusion. In any case, Auerbach is able to play on our familiarity with static – perhaps a gesture toward its threatened status in a digital age.
More Auerbach, including her beautiful Fold series on her website here. While you’re at it, you can learn about the science of static here, and even watch some here.
(All images sourced from Auerbach’s website).
Erin Saunders

(reblogged from Tumblr)


I would love to try something digital but I'm no digital whiz kid.

Although I did a design for our choir concert earlier on this year. When Yiyuan told me I could use the computer in the mac lab, I didn't really know what to do and Yiyuan was like "Whaaaaaaaaaat" like I was some person who just emerged fresh from the 1950s or something. Here it is:


 

Did it using a Bamboo. Err actually to tell the truth I can't remember whether I even used the Bamboo; as I recall there were some problems with getting the macs to register the thing. Ah, technology -

Anyway, have to credit Sharon for helping me write the letters in because my handwriting was simply ____. (I don't know how to describe it, it just didn't fit the picture). And Svena helped me draw some eyelashes because she complained the girl didn't look feminine enough...

By the way this was inspired by Obama's picture which we found online. Because Obama's cool like that. (just kidding..) Then Sharon and I both thought of street art - stencil graffiti. So we decided to follow that black and white street style. Or classic. Depends on which you relate it to.

I actually gave her mussed up hair in a bid to make it more realistic, but Sharon said it wouldn't fit NY's image so I neatened it up a bit.

Drawing using technology is different, but still the same. The feeling is different. But the results can look like a scanned image of a drawing. Anyhow, I think technology is still awesome (:

No comments:

Post a Comment