Sunday 19 August 2012









Boy
Lee Shu Hui
Pencil on paper
approx 2 by  3"
 27 April 2011




This is a random boy that I imagined up. I wonder why people always ask me "Who's that?" when I draw anime guys because most of the time I'm just drawing random guys from my imagination. So this is a little sketch I did on foolscap paper. I set out with Pierre Morhange from Les Choristes (a wonderful French film, you can Google it.) in mind. The very piercing blue eyes and the serious look. So I focused more on the light falling into his eyes, the neutral way his brows are set, and the angle at which his head is tilted downwards, as though he is looking directly at the viewer, which gave him a very soulful countenance. I also drew his arm as leaning against something, emphasising spatial difference and thus implying that he is leaning forward, which makes his look a little more piercing.


This piece of work was done because I hadn't picked up my pencil to draw for several months or so prior to this drawing, so to prevent my drawing skills from becoming rusty I took the opportunity to do a drawing.



This work reflects my understanding of the form and structure of the human face.


I think I could have improved on this drawing by finishing it. But then again I hardly finish most of my sketches.


All in all, I am very satisfied with this drawing because it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shu Hui! I think the drawing really looks like some anime drawing, which is good since you have accomplished your aim and successfully translated what's in your mind on paper! I agree that this anime guy has a piercing look. However, I think he looks kind of troubled due to the position of his eyebrow and is somewhat keeping a secet from the viewer. Anyway, great job on the sketch! I think it is fine if you don't finish your sketches actually. If you finish them, they would not be called sketches already, right?

    ReplyDelete