Friday 14 September 2012


Igor Mitoraj
Dormiente (Sleeper)
2002

This was exhibited at ARTSTAGE Singapore. I think this is a lot like my style of drawing. Sharon also told me so, citing how I like to draw Grecian-like guys' faces from my imagination when we saw this work at the exhibition. However, I'd just like to clarify that I don't just always draw Grecian-looking guys.













Igor Oleinikov
Kunstrauber (Art Thief)
2011

This artwork also struck a great impact on me. It was one of the guiding factors (along with Chuck Close) that inspired me to produce my coursework on the human form being depicted realistically.

Sharon told me that this was a lot like my style of art. I just was very much attracted to this piece, staring at it for a long time.

It is not a perfect face, not an idealistic Golden-Ratio face as the ancient Greeks would have liked it; it has its flaws and imperfections, with the frown lines and the sunken eyes peering out from behind shadows and the eye bags. I admired how it was so impactful, so unfinished, yet so striking - there was a tinge of color that appeared to be spreading across his forehead in the shadows. He looks like an apparition of light, like a faraway dream, all solemnity, like a twist in the plot of LOST. The blurred sides of his face makes him look like he is receding into the light, or swallowed up by it.

I wanted very much to do something like this for coursework - an impactful view of someone, a face, looking up into the viewer's eyes. I did incorporate that idea into my coursework.


No comments:

Post a Comment