Sunday 22 January 2012

On the Kimono



 Title: Drawings on Kimono
Media: Colour Pencil
Approximate Date: August 2011

These were some of the drawings that I did to cut out and paste on my kimono. I did them to show my interests (photography and eating.) as the kimono was supposed to represent our personalities. When I first started I noted that the almost completely jet-black camera would not be very interesting to colour. I faced some kind of internal struggle at first concerning how I should colour such an uninteresting (in terms of colour) subject matter. Should I do it in paint? Should it be done in pencil? I hadn't thought about it previously. I experimented with paint, but different brushstrokes of the same shade of black after drying up ended looking like they weren't of the same black colour that I took the paint from. With poster paint, the colour was too inconsistent. In the end, I just settled with varying the shades of black.The highlight of this drawing was the lens, which I think I kind of failed in in terms of capturing the light. Now I look back on it, I think I ought to have improvised with other colours. A more multi-coloured camera would have made things interesting.
I was rather disappointed with how the middle portion of the camera turned out because when i finally finished it I realised that it was proportionally disfigured, but deadlines were tight so I just stuck to the final product and didn't redo the drawing. I should have stepped back more to see how things were going and not forging forward from the start to the end.

The camera was the first one I did, so by the time I reached the cupcake I'd kind of warmed up
in terms of technical skills. I prefer the cupcake drawing to the one of the camera. Maybe also because to me, the cupcake is a softer subject matter than the cold hard mechanical camera with much more exciting and palatable colour as compared to plain jet black. I truly enjoyed colouring the cherry on the top of the cupcake. I think I spent a lot of time just on the cherry. I also spent some time attempting to capture the cream dripping of the sides of the cupcake, to make sure the light fell on it in a way that would suggest it was slowly dripping downward.



No comments:

Post a Comment